🎉🎉🎉 Save 30% on The Online Prenatal Class for Couples THIS WEEKEND ONLY with code FOOLMENOT (that's almost $60)
If you want to give a birth class as a gift, maybe to a daughter or a friend at a baby shower. How can you do this and give the couple a surprise that will help them prepare for their upcoming birth.
Before we get started…
Hi, I’m Hilary — The Pregnancy Nurse 👩⚕️. I have been a nurse since 1997 and I have 20 years of OB nursing experience, I am also the curly head behind Pulling Curls and The Online Prenatal Class for Couples. 🩺 I have seen first hand the HUGE changes that happen in a couple that has some birth preparation. Today I want to help you give that to someone you love.
What’s in This Article (click on an area to jump ahead)
What is a Prenatal Class?
This type of class goes by many names.
- Prenatal Class
- Birth Class
- Birth preparation class
- Hospital class
Personally, I call it a prenatal class, as I taught it called that for my hospital, but all of those classes should aim to prepare the couple for birth.
When Should Couples Take a Prenatal Class Class?
I recommend most couples start it at 30 weeks. The good news is there are many good online birth classes that couples can go through multiple times and refresh on anything they might feel they’re forgetting.
If the couples are taking the class in person, I normally recommend starting to look into it as you leave your first trimester. In person birth classes can be hard to schedule due to your personal schedules and limitations on when the hospital/instructor offers them.
What Will a Couple Learn in a Prenatal Class?
They will learn many things. Here are my top 10:
What to come in for urgently — pregnancy can be very confusing, what would trigger a call to their doctor or the hospital?
Testing Before Delivery — what could their provider be worried about before delivery that could trigger an induction or other medical interventions
How to tell if you’re in labor — it’s more confusing than it sounds, there should be some explicit talk about knowing when to call their provider or go to the hospital (and what to ask their provider about during visits to tailor this to themselves)
The entire labor process — from admission through baby delivery and their postpartum care, what should they expect along the way?
The Induction Process — how does it differ from “regular” labor and what should people expect?
Cesarean Sections — while most couples hope that they don’t have a cesarean section, it is important to prepare for what that could be like if it happens.
Pain Management Options — what are the natural & medical pain mangement options? This is actually pretty simple if you break it down.
Postpartum Hospital Care — what should they expect at the hospital after they have the baby. Most classes leave this out — but it’s really important to know how to get all the help you can during this phase.
Postpartum Home Life — what will life be like when you go home? A realistic view of how things will change is a very important part of a prenatal class.
Provider Communication — how should they be talking to their provider to get the information they need to make decisions.
Other things that might be included:
- Breathing techniques, more info on natural pain management
- Newborn care information
What types of things are included in a prenatal class?
If you take an in-person class it is just instruction time and possibly some handouts.
If you take an online class there are a lot more options:
- Course text/book for them to read
- Course videos to watch at their leisure
- Outside resources for them to look through
- Questions for the couple to review together
- Quizzes on key points
- Special review videos to watch right before the hospital
- Group interaction with other pregnant parents
- Live classes/support
Things to Consider When Buying a Prenatal Class As a Gift
I would recommend thinking about these 3 things:
- How good is the instructor? No good to get a class that will leave them asleep rather than prepared.
- Instructor experience? How many births has the instructor helped with and can they prepare them for many types of birth?
- How Much Time? You may not be sure that the couple can devote hours and hours to the class, so finding one that hits the important points is a great idea.
In case you were wondering The Online Prenatal Class for Couples is taught by one of the most beloved labor nurses on the internet (check her out on Youtube), she has over 20 years of experience as a bedside L&D nurse, and has seen & supported many types of birth. It only takes 3 hours and is done entirely on the couple’s timeline — so it’s a GREAT gift option for expecting parents!
Birth Class as a Baby Shower Gift
Birth Classes can be a GREAT baby shower gift.
You can present it with a gift certificate or print out the class logo and wrap it for the shower.
The couple will absolutely love how confident they feel about their birth, much better than a wipes warmer. 😉
Birth Class as a Gift From a Friend
A close friend will know how nervous someone is for their upcoming birth — a prenatal class is a way to soothe those fears and is an easy gift to purchase.
How to Register for a Prenatal Class
This can be tricky as prenatal classes aren’t sold in a box at Target.
BabyList allows parents to sign up for many things beyond what’s in the big box stores. It’s a good option or you could consider just putting it “out there” that you’re really interested in taking The Online Prenatal Class for Couples. Some ways to do that:
- Tell your mom/family — they want to see your brain and your baby supported during this delivery, they will understand why this type of present is so important.
- Mention it to people at work or friends who ask what you need. Send them to this post!
How to Buy The Online Prenatal Class for Couples as a Gift or Gift Certificate
The Online Prenatal Class for Couples can be given in a few ways.
- When you purchase the class, just put your friend’s email instead of yours in the contact information. This could possibly trigger an issue with your credit card, but usually does not. If your card doesn’t go through use method #2.
- Purchase the class with your own contact info and then send an email to [email protected] — we can then do one of two things:
- Just switch over all the information to your friend’s email address. That way she will get the emails about enrollment and the course right away.
- We can give you a 100% coupon code that they can enter themselves when they are ready — this allows you to surprise them with it with the code. This way is just like a gift certificate!
The question really is if you want you to surprise them with it or if you’d prefer they just have the option to start ASAP. Both are good options. 🙂
Giving The Online Prenatal Class for Couples as a Gift Certificate
- Purchase the class here.
- Send an email to [email protected] — telling us that you’ve purchased it as a gift.
- Within 24 hours we will send you a 100% off coupon for them to purchase the class on their own.
We are also happy to give you a gift certificate image for you to use in your gift.
Which Prenatal Class to Give as a Gift
I do believe The Online Prenatal Class for Couples is the best and most comprehensive prenatal class on the internet (and the reviews agree). While the Deluxe class is the top-rated, I know it is not in everyone’s budget. I would recommend thinking about how this couple learns best. Are they big readers? Perhaps the book is enough.
I will say the online course is the most popular one, as it fits budgets and brains. 🙂
The best news is that it fits everyone’s timeframe. Since it can be done in small chunks and only takes 3 hours, all couples can fit it in and really use it before baby is born.
As always, we are happy to support you with whatever you need during your purchase process. Don’t hesitate to email us.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
A nurse since 1997, she has worked in various fields including pediatrics, geriatrics & hospice.
She has 20 years of labor and delivery experience in the San Jose, CA and Phoenix, AZ areas.
She is also the curly head behind the website Pulling Curls and is the creator of The Online Prenatal Class for Couples — the #1 hospital-based prenatal class on the internet.